Monday, January 28, 2008

Someone taught Tristan to add

It must have been his teacher, who does not have to live with this kid. Because he adds at the worst times. We were eating dinner, roast with potatoes and carrots. Tristan really doesn't like it. He took two bites. I told him he had to take four more. He took two more and told me that was four. Very good he can add 2+2. I told him he had to take two more bites. "But that'll be six" he said. No pausing, no using fingers, just came up with it. Who taught him to do that. Or maybe 4 year-olds are supposed to add by now, I don't know. But I can see how this is going to be trouble. The good parent would probably encourage such knowledge. Oh he's so smart. Nope, I see trouble ahead. He already knows the value of money. He knows that when he has a dollar, he can get one thing from the dollar tree. I've taught him to count his money and then look for that number when we are shopping. But I don't think I taught him to add like this. Next comes telling time and that's going to be horrible. Right now, bed time is when I say it is. Bed time is 7:30, but lets say if by 7:10 he's tired and bored and I'm tired, then it's bed time. And oh the day he learns to read. Or at least gets close enough to reading that he knows how much I skip. I paraphrase a lot because some of those books are very long winded. Why can't kids just stay sweet and little? He's big enough, I want him to stop growing now. I don't think that's to much to ask.

No comments: