Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Fun, Interesting, and Exciting News

Or something like that. So to make a long story a little shorter....
Doug got an email on December 17, from his new battalion commander wondering where he was. Seems while Doug was in Fort Stewart for four months, orders came in here and the personnel guy put them in a file cabinet and forgot about them. So the brigade got his orders in September, we found out on Dec 17. We were supposed to be in Fort Bliss, Texas. Doug is on his way there now, he cleared and is hurrying to join them and go to Fort Irwin in a couple days. He is deploying in May-ish. Since the timing was short and horrible and in no way do I want to live in Texas, I'm staying here for now. Our big plan is that when he gets done at Fort Irwin, he will get things straightened out at Bliss and then come back here to move us. And I hopefully will not be going to Bliss. I'm moving to Pekin! He's going to be gone for a year, I don't want to go to Bliss and certainly not to live there by myself, so I'm not. I will be the wimpy Army wife and go home for a year. I'm actually kind of excited about it. And then when he comes back from overseas, we will move to Bliss. The only nice thing I know about the place is the housing seems nice. Otherwise all I've heard is that the crime rate is high and trucks get stolen often. We went to the zoo in Louisville last Saturday, and while we were in the desert house I was looking at the habit range for all the tarantulas, scorpions, snakes, yep they live in Texas. More reasons I do not want to move there. I've always said, kind of jokingly, that Kentucky is as far south as I want to go. I kind of meant it. I don't like the heat. I know I'm being a wimp, but I don't care. My parents are on the search for a rental house for me. Tristan is excited to move to Pekin too. I'm not happy about moving in the middle of the school year like this, but it's going to happen in the Army so might as well get used to it.

Anyway, we had a busy Christmas holiday as usual. And I will put pictures on next time, I haven't even put them on the computer yet. We did our family Christmas here at home, then took down the tree, packed up and went to Lockport. We definitely had a white Christmas up there. It was nice and brutally cold. I like it, but it's hard to do anything outside with the kids. I worry about them being warm enough, especially Gavin. Tristan got a cold while we were there, so he didn't get to go sledding like we planned. But we saw all the family and had a nice Christmas Eve and day there. Then we drove down to Pekin, saw some of the family, we went ice skating, and Doug and I went to a movie alone. We came home and Doug started clearing post and getting ready to leave.

And that is all the news for now. There will be big changes coming soon.

No comments: