Friday, January 23, 2009

Thinking of Moving

This is such a different move for us this time. It's not to another Army base. It's to a place I know so well and family and friends that are close. To a house that my husband will not be living in with us. And I know roughly when my next move will be and where to. Since I got my moving dates today and made some clearing appointments, I guess it is starting to set in that we are moving again. I do like being an Army wife and I do like moving to new places, but we just moved into this house last May. I still have boxes I didn't unpack. And I always get sad, sentimental, nostalgic, etc., just thinking of all the memories we've made here. Maybe it's because my parents still live in the same house I grew up in and I can go back to that house and there's my bedroom, and the sidewalk where I learned to ride a bike. But I feel sorry for my boys. Tristan doesn't remember the first two houses he lived in. Gavin won't remember the first three. I know that this is just a house, our home travels with us. Home is where the Army sends you. But this is the house that we brought Gavin home to, where he's had so many "firsts". I thought the same thing when we left Germany. I miss those houses too. And even though this house is a little small and not enough storage space, I've finally adjusted to it. I will miss it. And I've been thinking of the other things I will miss and not miss about Fort Knox.

Things I'll miss:
1. Living across from an airfield and hearing and seeing the C130's and Apache's fly at tree top level on their approach.
2. The tanks and gunfire from the range down the street. Not as loud as in Germany but I can still hear them.
3. The bugle calls throughout the day and especially Taps played every night at 11:00pm. It's usually quiet enough in here that I hear it. And every night it's a reminder that so many of our soldiers are still at war and so many never came back. I will really miss that.
4. The friends I've made here, although most of them have moved already, I still miss them.

Things I'll not miss:
1. Going through a gate every time to get on and off post.
2. My new neighbors.
3. Some of the ridiculous Army stuff.

Anyway, it's time to start the countdown to moving day. Time to clean, organize, and purge the house. Again.

No comments: